This is a compilation of some of my memories and experiences that happened during my teenage years. Start at the begginning of this blog to hear the beginning of my story.

The most recent posts will now be my experiences with Lupus as an adult and mother.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Story of the 3 little veins and the big bad elbow pit.

Today I went to get some blood work done.
(I'm super anxious to see if my super iron supplement has been working!)

It was only a CBC. complete blood count

ONE vile of blood.

one. little. purple. vile.



And I must say I felt very unsatisfied after that. After all the trauma of getting poked-thats all? Can't you take another one just for good measure?

I REALIZED, I like it when there is lots of blood exiting my body, it makes that painful stab, sore arm, ripping off the tape, and bruise for a week all worth it.
It makes that work feel Justified.

Does that make any sense to any of you, or am I just crazy? I know. Crazy. 

Here is the thing with me and drawing blood.

of course I dread it. Its painful. No, I don't stress, weep and moan over it all. (ok, maybe I do moan...but just to my husband)But who looks forward to that? (especially if you might be expecting the test results of it all to be possibly bad)

I have two arms with veins, like you.
However, one arm hides and shelters the blue babies so it stays safe from the needles. Lucky (left) arm.

The RIGHT arm...right elbow pit to be exact... has THREE popping bright blue veins.
So no matter how many times I put up my left arm to be needled the tech always asks me to switch and put up the right.
SOMETIMES, like if there is a fresh bruise from recently having blood withdrawn, the tech will take a chance and go for the left arm. But I'm fortunate enough to be healthy enough to not have blood drawn that often. phew.

So for years these three veins have been the subject of much, much needle probing. There is a lot of scar tissue on them. And it is pretty painful each blood draw.

especially the far right vein. He is the most popular.

the middle vein is hit and miss. Like today..it didn't hurt so bad.

left vein can be pretty tender. but usually doesn't get chosen. lucky fella.

needles anyone?

1 comment:

  1. How funny. I liked this post, not that it is funny that you are getting poked, but it is interesting to me how different the veins on a person can be, let alone from one arm to the next. It is so true that one arm can get picked on... when I start IV's I ALWAYS check both arms, just in case. You never know if it is going to be their right arm or left arm that is the champ! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete